Monday, October 27, 2008

Fantasia Fair and Round Up

Don’t forget to vote on November 4th. This election is very important for so many reasons. Here’s a chilling fact; hate crimes in general have decreased across the nation while crimes against gays and lesbians have increased. Electing a Democrat to the presidency along with the Democratic Congress for at least two years is more promising for us than having a Republican in the white house. Ok I’ll get off the box. 

Here’s why places like Provincetown are still so important and valuable.

Fantasia Fair occurred this week. There is truly nowhere on Earth where hundreds of transgender folk come to town, have fun and address issues that face their subculture without being harassed. Provincetown openly welcomed them to town for their weeklong conference. All week, cross dressers, their friends and family walked Commercial Street, shopped and socialized. It was fun to “people watch” this week with no judgment, only acceptance in my heart (except for the occasional unfortunate outfit). All walks of life are welcome here and part of what makes this place so very special.

The Round Up was also here this week. Celebrating 21 years, “Serenity by The Sea” was a success. I met many interesting people at the event from all over the country. In particular, my new friends from Philadelphia are extra special. I met Chris and Tom early in the week and for me, there was an instant connection. Later, I was introduced to the rest of their group… Jack and Philip. We all cliqued and I was sad to see them leave. I think I may be going to Philly for a visit. 

Part of the Round Up included a variety show which was attended by close to 500 gays and lesbians. It was a lot of fun, especially my friend’s imitation of Phyllis Diller…dead on.

This Friday is Halloween and means the town will be absolutely packed. If you haven’t been to Provincetown for Halloween, than get your fanny here. It rivals Salem, Ma in intensity, only Provincetown is full of talented and creative straight and gay folk who want to have happy fun… Salem can get a bit rough. But here the costumes are outrageous. Every bar has a contest or you can just walk up and down Commercial Street. It is like a parade. I still have to buy some candy as I usually get about a hundred trick or treat'rs. Since it falls on a Friday, the town will be mobbed.

That’s it for this week. I’ll let you know how Halloween was. Friends are coming from Boston and want me to dress up. I’m not too sure about that.

Email me if you have a comment mike.dubour@verizon.net and remember to play it safe and VOTE!

No comments: