Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pia's-town in winter (by Pia, the Italian Greyhound)

My name is Pia and I am two and half years old. My person, who I call daddy says that I am an Italian Greyhound. During the summer folks on Commercial Street stop and call me an IG or Iggy. They call me pretty and talk like a baby to me while putting their faces really close to my nose. I like to give the icky licky’s when they do this.

I have a house in Provincetown where I live with my daddy. I think I have finally finished training him. He now is on command to take me outside, feed me, play fetch and go to bed. However, I would like to play fetch a little more. Can you tell him? I’m not sure he understands me. Maybe he needs more training. My daddy is a big queen and a real estate agent, at least that’s what everyone says when he is not in the room.

Winter here in Provincetown is really fun for me. Daddy is around the house more to give me lots of hugs and kisses. Daddy has friends visit pretty much every weekend for dinner parties and they always throw food on the floor for me to eat! Don’t tell my dad though because he hasn’t been trained to do this. When he catches me doing it he puts me in the crate. It’s terribly unfair.

After dinner everyone gathers around the fireplace and talks about what to do during the winter in Provincetown. I always find a warm lap to curl up on, near the fire of course, and listen in.
It seems that Friday starts the weekend activity here. Three local restaurants, Michael Shays, Fanizzis and Bayside Betsy’s offer a fish fry. Apparently, this is the thing to do Friday night. After which, they head to The Porch Bar for conversation, meeting boys and shooting pool. I’m not sure how to shoot a pool but I hope it's not painful.

Saturday is usually reserved for dinner parties or reservations. A number of fine restaurants are still open this time of year and fun can still be had. Afterwards, a show at The Provincetown Theatre can be fun. It is open all year…real stage performances, not the cinema.

On Sunday its brunch time at Fanizzi’s. Wow…forget the new year resolution to eat healthy.
Sunday night my daddy goes to Bayside Betsy’s and gets the Sunday comfort food, mmmmm. I love this because he always brings some home and occasionally drops a piece and I snap it up without him knowing.

Monday is a hot night off season here. Its off to The Mews for Open Mic night…featured performers have been Zoe Lewis, Peter Donnelly and local celebrated poets and authors….lots of fun on a local level.

Oh and during the day on weekends, some shops are still open offering great deals. Both gyms are packed full of townies this time of year. It’s a social hangout according to daddy. Another place to hang out is one of the cafes…Joe in the west end is the most popular, but the east end has the Wired Puppy.

I usually drift off to sleep while they are talking and daddy wakes me up to take me outside to go pee. This is rewarding for me as I have trained him to give me snack once I’m done doing my business.

Then my daddy goes out with his friend to either the A-House or the Wave bar….I’m not sure what they do, but he always comes home to sleep with me and keep me warm.

I like the weekday and nights the best. My daddy stays home most nights after going to the gym. He watches TV while I get to stay curled up on his lap. I love it. Sometimes a friend will come over and play with me as they watch a movie.

During the day daddy leaves me alone because he has to work. I’m sad and really lonely during the day. Sometimes I get to go into the office with him. I like saying hello to everyone. Once I even pooped right on the rug as a gift. Daddy was not happy with me. I don’t know why as I was trying to be nice.

Oh well, that’s it from me, Pia the IG. I’ll write again in a couple weeks. Stay warm and obey your pets.

No comments: