Saturday, January 5, 2008

Living out of the Norm, a New Year

Living in Provincetown year round is anything but normal. Of course, that all depends on your definition of the word. As I was flying into Provincetown, after spending New Years in Atlanta, the thoughts of 2008 and renewed promise in this magical town came to mind.

My evening flight on Cape Air was bumpy, a definite nail biter. Have you ever landed in a plane sideways? Upon final approach I realized that I was staring at the runway out of my back window. It was getting closer and closer. Then at the last minute, the pilot turned the plane and landed safely.

I bring this up because life here can easily be metaphoric to this landing. Just as you experience heartache and setback, a bumpy ride if you will, things turn around. I’ve had my share of ups and downs over the past two years due to my decision to live here. I am not alone. It seems that once you dedicate yourself to Provincetown, if you have the courage to do so and take the risk, life really happens for you.

After mimicking JPII and kissing the runway, I drove from the airport with memories of my time in Atlanta and new friends. My first stop was to be at a post new year party at The Brass Key guesthouse hosted by its wonderful owner Michael. What a great way to come home, seeing local friends and business associates, wishing them well. It was also a time to get caught up on the local gossip which fuels this town.

The room tax revenues were up for the spring and summer, the fall did pretty well, up 8.8% from last year. This is great news for our local economy. Let’s toast that next year will be the same or better.

We thought the arsonist had left our little hamlet by the bay, however, a suspicious dumpster fire was eerily similar to the ones set in November.

2008 could see the merger of the Provincetown High School with Nauset Regional High. This of course is due to declining student enrollment. How will the public react?

Then of course the real gossip: The Brass Key is not only for sale, but under agreement to the owners of The Crowne Point...hmmmm- The new bar in town had its license suspended due to fire code violations… uh oh,- Two new restaurants are going to open in time for next season…get the panelists out because everyone is a critic. And finally, that guy over there, with the scarf around his neck…he is the drummer for Scissor Sister. Indeed it was Patrick from the band, what a delightfully creative guy and fun to talk to.

Well, I’m home and off to a clean start. Happy New Year and I hope 2008 is filled with everything you desire.

No comments: