Monday, February 25, 2008

Pia Sees A Wreck

This week I trotted down to Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet to take a first hand IG look at a shipwreck.

I was able to put the camera around my neck and take some spectacular photos using my snout.

First, a little background. On January 27th, this year, we experienced quite a storm that churned the ocean viciously. The winds howled and I spent most of the time under the covers hiding next to daddy. Ultimately, this storm caused the skeleton of a sunken vessel to wash ashore on Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet. It has become quite the attraction here.

The 60 foot remains of the ship, believed to be a 19th century schooner, lay upright on the beach as if on display in a museum. Due to the number of shipwrecks off the coast of Cape Cod and without a name, spectators speculated as to the ship’s identity. Theories were abundant in the crowd that gathered around the decomposing hull that the ship was a fishing vessel from Gloucester or a coal carrying barge. No one really knows for sure. My theory is that it carried crates of dog food destined for Italian Greyhound puppies.

The National Parks Service has no plans to remove the ship and the remains are expected to be washed out to sea. If you have a chance to visit the Cape, check out the ship as it is truly a remarkable piece of history.

I bit part of the boat off and asked an onlooker to throw it for fetch. He scolded me for chewing on the boat and shooed me away. What a crab! I barked at him and ran home.

I showed daddy my photos and he thought I should share them with you, so please enjoy.

NOTE: Check out the blog entry on ptownma.info for pictures (click here)

No comments: